Championship roundup: Cardiff’s quickfire treble saves point at Stoke

Managerless Cardiff pulled off a remarkable comeback at the Bet365 Stadium, as Stoke let slip a three‑goal lead to draw 3-3.

Jacob Brown put the hosts ahead after 10 minutes and Steven Fletcher grabbed a goal in each half to put them in control. But three goals in five minutes hauled Cardiff level. Rubin Colwill pulled one back in the 66th minute, Mark Harris added a second four minutes later and Kieffer Moore struck almost instantly to complete the fightback.

Victory would have taken Stoke into the top six but they are in ninth. Cardiff, who sacked Mick McCarthy last Saturday, are 21st.

Steve Morison, the Cardiff caretaker, was asked if he feared the worst and said: “Fear the worst? We had the worst, we were 3-0 down, it couldn’t have got much worse, could it? All credit goes to the players, I just told them that standard at 3-0 down wasn’t good enough but the performance after we went 3-0 down is good enough.

“At the minute, we’re not good enough to not be at it because if we aren’t at it then we’re 3-0 quite quickly. But if we perform at that level, we will win games of football.

At the summit Bournemouth continued their remarkable unbeaten start to the season with a 2-0 win at Reading. Dominic Solanke opened the scoring with a close-range header just before half-time, and Jamal Lowe added the second with a smart finish just before the hour. The win – their 11th from 15 league games this season – keeps the Cherries five points clear of second-placed Fulham and nine clear of West Brom in third.

Coventry strengthened their position in the play-off places with a 1-0 win at struggling Hull. Matty Godden’s ninth-minute header – helped on its way by poor goalkeeping – was enough to earn them three points.

Coventry are fourth in the table and deserved the victory against meek opposition, whose fans demanded at full-time the dismissal of Grant McCann. Hull have won two league games and remain in the relegation zone, having been promoted as champions.

Huddersfield climbed to fifth after Jonathan Hogg’s late header sank Millwall 1-0. The Huddersfield substitute Josh Koroma and Millwall’s Ryan Leonard were booked with five minutes remaining in a row over time-wasting.

Andreas Weimann’s first-half double ended Nigel Pearson’s Ashton Gate nightmare as Bristol City came from behind to beat Barnsley 2-1. The visitors took a 28th-minute lead through Aaron Leya Iseka. The home fans were becoming restless until Weimann thumped the equaliser past Brad Collins on 42 minutes . He then netted his second in first-half stoppage time.

City held on for a first home success in 18 games, stretching back to 26 January – 15 of them under Pearson.

First-half goals from Jake Bidwell, Joel Piroe and Olivier Ntcham handed Swansea a 3-0 win over Peterborough. Ben Brereton Díaz scored twice in the first 20 minutes as Blackburn beat Derby 2-1, Curtis Davies grabbing a late consolation.

Two goals in three second-half minutes from Marc Roberts and Scott Hogan gave Birmingham a 2-0 win at Middlesbrough, in Neil Warnock’s 1,601st match as a manager. Warnock said: “I will still be disappointed when I get home tonight. I will still be horrible to be with sat next to my missus.”

Emil Riis celebrated his new contract at Preston with both goals in the 2-0 defeat of Luton and Keshi Anderson’s late goal secured a 1-0 victory for Blackpool at Sheffield United.